Here are some answers to various questions you may have:

What kinds of people sign up for an onsite or online teacher-training course?+

Native and near-native speakers of English who come from a variety of different backgrounds, life experiences, and stages in life. All of them are adults. Some have experience teaching in other fields; others already have experience teaching English for private language schools abroad, but need and want to improve upon or update their teaching skills. In some cases, English teachers with experience need a certificate to help them find work or remain competitive with other applicants who are looking for jobs. All are interested in travel, meeting new people, working with students, and learning about different cultures.

Does English have to be my first language in order to teach the English language effectively?+

Absolutely not! You need to be a native or near-native speaker of English. Many near-native speakers of English, who speak English as a second language, often have a better grasp of teaching English grammar than many native speakers of English.

How often do you offer the Weekend TEFL Certificate in Florence course and how can I ask further information about the course or instructor?+

The Weekend TEFL Certificate course is currently offered about six times a year. If you'd like further information about this intensive and engaging learning experience, contact us.

Do any of your online courses offer training with a teacher trainer living in Italy?+

Yes, the Online ICAL TEFL provides 120 hours of teacher training with an experienced English teacher trainer living in Italy.

What is the difference between signing up for the Weekend TEFL in Florence course versus the ICAL TEFL course online?+

The onsite course is an intense and engaging 20-hour course (Friday - Sunday), which is completed in three days. It gives you the opportunity to collaborate with other students in a classroom environment. It also provides an opportunity for you to receive feedback from your peers and your teacher trainer on two required teaching presentations.

The ICAL TEFL course can be started and completed from anywhere at any time and it is a flexible and effective self-paced option. The online course doesn’t include traditional "in the classroom" teaching practice, but it allows you to work on modules with an experienced teacher trainer living in Italy who provides feedback and suggestions on written assignments you complete.

If you need more than a 20 hour course or would like more teacher training hours, we suggest signing up for both the Weekend TEFL and the Online ICAL TEFL Certificate courses which are both taught by the same teacher trainer.

How do I sign up for the Weekend TEFL or other onsite course in Florence?+

Contact us for details about course content and a course schedule. Our onsite courses are offered in collaboration with the Europass Teacher Academy in Florence, Italy. To Enroll in any onsite course, it is necessary to fill out an online enrollment form. Onsite courses are held at the Europass Teacher Academy and this is the address:

Via S. Egidio, 12 - 50122 Florence (Italy) Tel. +39 055 247 9995

For more info: + 39 347 378 8169.

Can accommodation be arranged for me if I decide to enroll in the onsite Weekend TEFL course?+

Yes, hotel information is provided upon request. Contact us for a list of hotels.

What shall I bring with me if I am attending an onsite Weekend TEFL in Florence course?+

Bring an empty A4 European binder with lots of plastic sleeves; where you can insert the work you do during the course. In the end, you'll be able to walk away with your TEFL certificate and your teaching portfolio!

How do I sign up for the 120 hour Online ICAL TEFL course?+

Enroll on the ICAL TEFL website. Upon receipt of your enrollment form, you will be required to pay for the course through PayPal. As soon as you have enrolled, you will be contacted about starting the course within a day or two. The Online ICAL TEFL course can also be paid for in person (in Florence, Italy).

How do I find out further information about all of the certificate courses before signing up?+

Send us a message through any of our contact forms and we will send you additional information and more details about any of the courses. We will also provide you with answers to your questions.

What can I do to prepare before the start of any TEFL certificate course?+

Buy yourself a good grammar textbook with an answer key and familiarize yourself with it. We suggest anything written by Michael Swan, such as:
How English Works: A Grammar Practice Book with Answers by Swan, M and Walter, C;
Grammar in Use by Murphy, R; or any other grammar books written by Diane Larsen Freeman or Betty Azar.

Some other helpful books for beginning teachers include:
Teaching by Principles: An Interactice Approach to Language Pedagogy by Brown, H. Douglas;
Learning Teaching by Scrivener, J.,
Teaching English as a Foreing or Second Language by Gebhard, J.G.

If you'd like to teach somewhere abroad consider purchasing Susan Griffith's book Teaching English Abroad. It provides an excellent overview on working conditions in specific countries and gives tips on teaching English in Europe and on other continents.

Will a TEFL certificate help me find work in Italy or in other countries?+

Yes, definitely. In most cases, private language schools will no longer hire a teacher without certification.

What kind of work is available in Italy for teaching English?+

A TEFL certificate will allow you to teach in private language schools. It will also help you find work as a free-lance teacher, offering private lessons in person or online.

What kind of help will I receive to help me secure employment in Italy or in another country?+

If you attend the Weekend TEFL course, information will be provided regarding job postings and how to find employment opportunities. You can also check the www.tefl.com for other teaching opportunities. In short, we will assist you in any way possible, but we cannot guarantee job placement and neither can any other teacher training organization.

Will I have difficulty finding work in Italy or other countries in Europe if I do not hold a European passport?+

It's definitely easier finding work teaching English in Italy if you hold a European passport or have Italian citizenship. There are language schools that will hire non-European citizens, but you'll have to work a little harder to find these jobs. Also, don't expect things to happen as easily for you as they might in your own country.

If you are American and are able to pursue Italian citizenship through a relative, it is definitely recommended and your life will be a lot easier. Italian citizenship can be granted through grandparents and/or great grandparents providing you can provide the required paperwork to your closest Italian consulate. If you have more questions about eligibility, consult http://www.myitaliancitizenship.com/ for Italian citizenship questions and answers.

How do I find private language schools to apply to in Italy?+

When looking for jobs in a specific city or region in Italy start your search with the Italian yellow pages or pagine gialle.
Where it reads, Cosa: type: scuole di lingue
Where it reads, Dove: type: city or region (e.g., Florence or Tuscany OR Genova or Liguria)
Print out the listing and visit each school in the city or region that interests you. Bring your CV/resume with you and ask the director if they are hiring English teachers. Italians prefer face-to-face contact and presenting yourself to each school, in person, will work much better than sending your CV by email or snail mail.

How many hours should I expect to work per week as an English language teacher?+

You should expect to work anywhere between 20 to 30 hours per week in a language classroom. Remember: As a language teacher, you also need time to prepare your lessons and recuperate from student teacher contact. Teaching more than 30 hours per week will affect the quality of your lessons and time for preparation.

Which English should I teach in my classroom?+

Teach the English you know. If you are an American and write "center" in this way--do that. If you are from the United Kingdom and write "centre" in this way--do that. Don't try to teach American English if you're British or teach British English if you're American. It can be very helpful to teach your students the differences, when you know them, but stick with what you know and feel most comfortable with.

What does TESL, TEFL, TESOL mean?+

  • TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) - Teaching English to learners who live in a country where English is spoken as a first/native language (e.g., England, Australia, USA).

  • TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) - Teaching English to learners who live in a country where English is not spoken as a first/native language (e.g., Italy, France, Spain).

  • TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) - refers to both TEFL and TESL.

How do I acquire in class teaching practice if I don’t have any teaching experience?+

We suggest contacting and volunteering a certain number of teaching hours (10-20 for examples) at private language schools, cultural associations, or any other organization or educational institution where English language lessons are given and or provided in the community where you’re living. If you have any other questions not answered here, please contact us through our contact form.

Sign up for Newsletter

© Copyright 2016 - Teaching English in Italy - Made with in Mugello